Japanese Language and Japanese Cultural Experience Programs Provided by the HIC
The Hiroshima International Center (HIC), the administrative operator of the Hiroshima International Plaza (HIP), has full-time well-experienced instructors of Japanese language. We offer a wide variety of Japanese language and Japanese cultural experience programs that accommodate a wide variety of needs and levels of participants from beginners to advanced-level students.
Characteristics of Japanese Language and Japanese Cultural Experience Programs Provided by the HIC
1) Programs with the Focus on Participants’ Needs
- Each program is customized to reflect the participants’ levels and needs, as is as the program’s duration.
- Finely-tuned instruction is provided to generate a maximum effect.
2) Teaching Method based on the Achievements Accumulated since the Establishment of the HIP (1997)
- We have provided many programs so far, including those for JICA trainees and other people who study Japanese for the first time, for international students who need to write theses in Japanese at college, and for foreign teachers of Japanese language who would like to further improve their classes.
- This experience has stimulated us to offer even better Japanese language and Japanese cultural experience programs and to further improve our teaching skills.
3) Well-Experienced Instructors of Japanese Language
- Our instructors participate actively in various efforts promoted by the Society for Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language and other organizations, and give many research presentations. Moreover, by making the best use of the research results, we always make improvements to increase students’ satisfaction.
- We develop our own textbooks for each program.
The HIC provides the following Japanese language and Japanese cultural experience programs:
Japanese Cultural Experience Programs for Young People
For Young People to Refine Their Sensitivity through Various Experiences
We offer Japanese language and Japanese cultural experience programs for foreign young people (elementary school students and junior and senior high school students) visiting Hiroshima from their home countries during their school excursions, etc.
The HIC arranges homestay, school visits, visits to Miyajima Island and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, and Japanese cultural classes, such as traditional Japanese tea ceremony and Japanese yukata (informal cotton kimono) wearing. We also offer preparation classes for homestay, such as those for learning basic Japanese language and Japanese manners.
■Examples of Japanese cultural experience classes provided at the HIP
Traditional Japanese tea ceremony.Flower arrangement.Origami.Japanese yukata (informal cotton kimono) wearing.Writing a letter with illustration.Japanese calligraphy.Traditional Japanese painting and calligraphy Making a doll of Japanese paper Cooking Japanese dishes (such as rolled sushi)
Stencil printing Making taketonbo (bamboo dragonfly) Playing with Japanese toys (stilts, kendama [cup and ball], etc.)
If you have any other requests, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will accommodate such requests to the extent possible.
Visiting a school
̶ As indicated in the following schedule, many Japanese cultural experience programs for young people last for approximately one week. However, we can offer a one-day program or a 10-day program. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
|Day||Day of the Week||Time||Contents||Transportation|
|Day 1||Thursday||Afternoon||Arrive from Fukuoka, Osaka,
Check in the HIP,
attend the program
take a class of Japanese language
|Evening||Japanese cultural experience
(such as wearing Japanese yukata
[informal cotton kimono])
|Visit various sites in Hiroshima City
(Peace Memorial Park,
Mazda Museum, etc.,
and try cooking okonomiyaki)
|Day 3||Saturday||All day||Homestay|
|Day 4||Sunday||Morning||Leave the host family||Rented bus|
|Morning/Afternoon||Visit Miyajima Island
try making momiji-manju
(bun with a bean-jam filling), etc.
Visit a school
|Evening||Japanese cultural experience
(traditional Japanese tea
|Day 6||Tuesday||Morning||Attend the program
and leave for the next destination
Japanese Language and Japanese Cultural Experience Programs for Foreign College Students
Not Just Accumulating Knowledge But Also Using Knowledge
This is a program for students studying Japanese language or Japanology at foreign colleges.The program mainly consists of classes to help students enhance their Japanese proficiency for a practical purpose. In addition, the program provides opportunities for students to appreciate various experience available only in Japan. For example, they stroll about the city together with Japanese students and interact with them, or visit Japanese companies and speak formal Japanese. Thus, through the program, students can fully demonstrate their Japanese proficiency that they have accumulated so far. In addition, the program includes sessions in which students visit various sites to directly appreciate Japanese culture and stay with Japanese families.
Together with partner students
At a sake brewery
Trying traditional Japanese flower arrangement!
The following is an example of the schedule of a program that lasts for four weeks. However, we can accommodate a wide variety of needs and offer various programs that last for one week to two months. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Week 1
(Watch and learn):
- Orientation session,
visit to Saijo/Miyajima Island, etc.
- Week 2
- Visits to various sites in Hiroshima City, presentation preparation, Japanese cultural experience (traditional Japanese tea ceremony, Japanese kimono wearing, etc.), college campus tour, etc.
- Week 3
- Interaction with Japanese college students and preparation for the interaction (learning how to ask questions, etc.)Staying with Japanese families and writing appreciation letters for the host families
- Week 4
- Opinion exchange session
and preparation for the session
*Expenses (in a case where 12 people participate in a four-week program): Approximately 160,000 yen per person
For details on programs/expenses, please click the Pamphlet
Global Awareness Programs for Companies, etc.
Use the Programs as Part of Your Global Strategy!
This is a program for foreign trainees accepted by Japanese-affiliated companies or companies doing business with Japanese companies and other organizations. While staying at the HIP, such trainees can learn Japanese language and Japanese culture.
It is possible for the trainees to commute to their companies/plants from the HIP and take engineering training programs at the companies/plants during the daytime, and then return to the HIP and take Japanese language classes and enjoy Japanese cultural experience at the HIP.
Upon request, we will hold orientation sessions regarding living in Japan, hold health checkups, submit necessary documents to the relevant public office, provide support for trainees to open a bank account, hold an intensive course of Japanese language, and offer many other types of support.
Taking a night class of Japanese language
Cultural experience is available.
The following is an example of the schedule of a program that is held for a period of a few months. We organize a program based on your needs regarding a program period and program content. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
However, if you stay in the Hiroshima International Plaza for a long period of time, you need to take a class of Japanese language and Japanese cultural experience at least once a week.
|Arrival at the HIP –
– Visit various sites in
and Hiroshima City
– Complete procedures for
open a bank account
– Health-checkup, etc.
|Day 4 –
|Intensive course of Japanese language
(for five days)
|Engineering training at the
|- Japanese language class
(approximately three to
five times a month)
– Japanese cultural experience
(traditional Japanese tea ceremony,
traditional Japanese flower
arrangement, Japanese kimono
wearing, Japanese calligraphy,
letter with illustration, origami, etc.)
– Traditional Japanese entertainment
performance and other events
held at the HIP lobby
– Homestay/home visit
– Tour to Miyajima Island
– Local interaction events, etc.
Global Awareness Programs for Foreign Local Governments and Educational Institutes
We Accommodate a Wide Variety of Needs!
This is a program for staff members of foreign local governments and educational institutes, as well as for foreign college instructors and students.
The program includes sessions for non-native instructors of Japanese language (to learn more about Japanese language, Japanese culture, how to improve their teaching skills, etc.), as well as a Japanese language course for a practical purpose for people studying Japanese language and Japanese culture in a foreign country.
The following is an example of the schedule of a program for teachers that is held for a period of approximately four months. We organize a program based on your needs regarding program period and program content. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
|Monday||Arrive in Japan|
|Day 1||Tuesday||Program opening ceremony
on living in Japan
|Day 2||Wednesday||Japanese proficiency
|Japanese proficiency 1
Mind map―image of Japan
on the program (1)
|Day 3||Thursday||Teaching method 1:
on the program (2)
|Japanese cultural affairs 1
and Miyajima Island
to visiting the sites
|Day 4||Friday||Visit 1
Visit various sites
in Hiroshima City
|Day 8||Tuesday||Teaching method 2
a mock class 1-1
|Teaching method 3
a mock class 1-2
|Day 9||Wednesday||Teaching method 4
Provide a mock class 1
“Japanese culture and
campus tour to
|Day 10||Thursday||Visit 2
Island (task activity)
|Day 11||Friday||Japanese proficiency 2
How to ask questions
Manners for visiting
etc. prior to home visit
for school visit
|Day 12||Saturday||Visit 3 Home visit|
|Day 14||Monday||Japanese proficiency 3
Presentation preparation 1
|Teaching method 5
|Day 15||Tuesday||Japanese proficiency 4
|Teaching method 6
|Day 16||Wednesday||School visit|
|Day 17||Thursday||School visit|
|Day 18||Friday||School visit|
|Day 21||Monday||Teaching method 7
Prepare for a mock class 2-1
|Japanese proficiency 5
|Day 22||Tuesday||Teaching method 8
Prepare for a mock class 2-2
|Japanese proficiency 6
Feedback on the
Teaching method 9
|Japanese proficiency 7
on the Q&A session
|Day 24||Thursday||Teaching method 10
Provide a mock class
Prepare a program
|Friday||Leave the HIP|
* The content and expenses vary depending on the program. For details, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Advanced-Level Japanese Language Programs [lecture fee: free of charge]
We provide international students studying in Hiroshima Prefecture with advanced-level Japanese language programs, so that they can obtain high-level Japanese proficiency necessary to perform research activities at graduate school.
In the program participants can learn about, for example, the following:
- How to give a presentation and handle a Q&A session
- How to write a thesis
- How to comprehend theses and how to write a summary
- How to correct their own writing, using their grammar knowledge
If requested, we can arrange a homevisit program.
The Advanced-Level Japanese Language Programs come in two types: intensive two-week program and six-month program.
It is possible to participate in both programs. Please make full use of the program experience for your research activities, etc.
Two courses from August
October to March
90 – 180 hours
12 persons × 1 class × 2 courses
8 persons × 1 class
• International students enrolled
|Eligibility for Application||
Japanese-Language Proficiency Test N1 or N2
Tests for reading, grammar, vocabulary, etc.
• Acquire advanced-level Japanese necessary
Free of charge
Use of a lodging room: 800 yen/night
* For details, please click here (Japanese only)
Information on how to apply for the Advanced-Level Japanese Language Programs or other details is available also at the HIP website.
How to Apply
Please notify us of the program content that you would like us to organize, as well as the number of participants, the program period, time, budget, etc. HIC staff members will draw up an estimate for your program.
In some cases, in order to organize a training program and schedule, we may ask you about the levels of the participants’ Japanese proficiency and the textbooks that the participants use. Thanks for your cooperation.
Training Section, Training Department, Hiroshima International Center
TEL: 082-421-5900 FAX: 082-421-5751
Flow from Application to Program Commencement
|At least two to three months prior
to program commencement
|At least one to two months prior
to program commencement
|Prepare program content, schedule, and estimate|
|At least approximately one month prior
to program commencement
|Send a contract and a bill|
|Pay in full the training fee
(Pay into our bank account, in principle)
|By program commencement||Complete the necessary procedures for visa,
overseas travelers’ insurance, etc.
|If a participant wishes to cancel his/her participation,
please notify us each time.
How to Pay Training Fees
- Please pay into our bank account, in principle. Although it is possible to pay in cash at the time of the program commencement, you are recommended to pay into our bank account for safety.
- Please bear the remittance charge necessary to send the training fees from your country.
- Please note that, after the payment, if a program participant wishes to cancel his/her participation due to his/her personal circumstances, we will not return his/her training fee (i.e. participation expenses excluding his/her accommodation fee).
- As for the accommodation fee, if the cancelation is made on the day before the scheduled check-in date, we will return half of the accommodation fee for the day, as well as the total accommodation fee for the rest days. If the cancelation is made on the day of the scheduled check-in date, we will collect the entire accommodation fee for the day as a cancellation fee, but will return the total accommodation fee for the rest days. Please note that, however, you shall bear the remittance charge necessary for us to send the money to your country.